As a personal trainer one of my first questions to new clients is what areas would you like to improve on? Almost every response is ‘ I want to tighten my stomach, lift my bum, not to bulk up and ….mainly fix my FLABBY ARMS. No one wants to have droopy loose skin that hangs on your underarms, although it may serve as a nice cooling method in the summer its not flattering at all. That is why I've put together a hand full of simple easy to follow exercises that can be done in the comfort of your own home with little or no gym equipment.
These upper body arm exercises are the best moves to tone arms fast, and they require no fancy gym equipment. Arms are a relatively easy part of the body to tone, though you will still need consistency to see any results. It doesn't take much time or even any real fitness equipment to get a great quick and effective in-home workout to help target those flabby arms.
All you need is a plain old chair (make sure its sturdy) a set of stairs and a yoga mat or comfortable carpeted area towel and water bottle…oh ya and yourself.
All the exercises we are going to be doing will be done one after each other and then repeated at least three times each.
Exercise #1 - LATERAL PULSES
- Lift your arms up to your side until they are parallel to the ground.
- You will then raise them in a controlled manner just above the top of your head and bring them back to the starting position.
- Repeat this motion 20-30 reps fairly quickly but remember don’t let them go lower than parallel to the ground!
Exercise #2 - ARM CIRCLES
Arm circles are a great, easy exercise that can be performed anytime, anywhere. Arm circles help to tone both your biceps and triceps, while also strengthening the back and shoulders so your killing 4 birds with one stone.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and extend your arms straight out to the sides, so they're in line with your shoulders.
- Begin rotating your arms forward in small, circular motions, without moving your wrists or elbows.
- After about 20 -30 circles, change direction and begin rotating your arms backwards.
- There are a few Variations to this exercise to make it harder and more intense, you can move your arms faster or use hand weights.
Exercise #3 - CHAIR DIPS (triceps)
- Using a standard yet sturdy chair sit on the edge of the chair with your palm and hand on the chair beside your bum/hips.
- Lift your buns off of the seat and walk your feet forward. Make sure your hands are secure on the chair so that you don’t slip off.
- Keep your chest elevated and head up. Your knees should not bend past your toes.
- Slowly lower your body downward. Be careful that your elbows don’t bend to an angle smaller than 90 degrees.
- Extend your arms, raising your body upward and supporting your weight with your arms.
Exercise #4 - BICEP CURL
Bicep curls are one of the most basic weight lifting exercises, which help you to build arm strength and look good in short sleeves. If you're doing the exercises at home for the first time, you can also use a standard 15 oz can of food or any other household object that you may feel the weight is appropriate.
- Hold a dumbbell or other household object in each hand and stand up straight with your feet about hip width apart.
- Keep your arms and elbows tight to the side of your body with your palms facing forward
- Slowly raise both weights until your forearms come close to your chest (don’t go all the way up because there will be too much rest. No rest for the wicked)
- Slowly lower the weights back into the starting position; always keep tension running through your biceps.
- At all time keep your chest out, shoulders back and core tight.
Exercise #5 - TRICEP KICKBACKS
The tricep kickbacks are one of my favorite arm exercises because you really get a good squeeze and can almost instantly feel your triceps working hard.
- Stand to the right of your chair, holding a dumbbell or house your chosen household product in your right hand with your palm facing the side of your body.
- Place your left knee and your left hand on top of the bench.
- Lean forward at your hips until your upper body is at about a 45-degree angle to the floor.
- Bring your elbow and upper arm so they are parallel to the ground and keep your elbow tucked tightly to the side of your body.
- Keeping your upper arm and elbow stationary fully extend your arm until it is parallel to the ground and your thumb is closest to the floor.
After you complete the set, repeat the exercise with your left arm.
Do each exercise 2-3 times each and roll through the 5 exercises one after each other #1-5 and then repeat 1-5 until you achieve the 2-3 sets. Remember- Push yourself. One of the oldest yet most true sayings ‘ NO PAIN NO GAIN’ hit it and hit it hard.
Consistency is the name of the game so don’t think once, twice or even ten times will solve your arm issue. Keep at it be patient and GOODLUCK!
The above exercises should really help target those unwanted flabby arms. Remember do all exercises with lots of control and if you feel any discomfort stop and don’t continue until you've consulted a health professional.
Contributed by Andrew Brooke
Andrew Brooke is a personal trainer in Mississauga, Ontario. Learn more here